Saturday, January 31, 2015

B4 - Project Idea - Group A, Ilana Ritvalsky

For my project, I have selected to work alone on a research paper. The composition will explore various available technologies that allow building systems to automatically adapt to changes in the weather and natural environment. By definition, an intelligent building is one whose systems take advantage of adaptive technology and involves said mechanisms throughout its life cycle - conception, design, construction, daily operation, maintenance, etc. My selected topic depicts one way in which automation can be utilized on a daily basis within a structure. These buildings have the ability to detect/obtain an input - lighting levels, outside temperature, relative humidity, etc. - and will instinctively adjust as necessary. Several systems are affected by these changes including HVAC, electrical and even architectural.

I chose this topic because it's something that greatly interests me. I've been curious about intelligent systems for a while especially after witnessed such a mechanism in action. One day I was studying in the new LeBow building and noticed the window shades going up and down on their own. I mentioned it to one of my friends (who was more familiar with the building) and she explained that a system had been installed that adjusted the shades according to the time of day and level of sunlight coming through the windows. I figured that this project would be the perfect opportunity to explore my interest. My only concern is being able to obtain a significant amount of original material. We're all familiar with the obvious adaptive systems for HVAC and lighting but I was hoping to find information on newer technologies that haven't become so popular yet. One in particular is the ability of a building's architectural system to adapt - changes in facade/building skin, room positioning, etc. Other than that, I have no worries regarding this topic.

Anticipated Paper Outline: (subject to change)
I. Introduction
a) Reiteration of Intelligent Building Concept
b) General Explanation of Topic
c) Relevance to Course
II. Discussion of Technology that Allows Such Adaptations to Occur 
a) Temperature Sensors
b) Humidity Sensors
c) Light sensors
d) How sensor input is translated to building system output
III. Specific Applications/Examples
a) HVAC system
b) Electrical/lighting system
c) Architectural/structural system
IV. Conclusion and Remarks

Project Timeline:
02/14/15 – Completion of research
02/17/15 – Completion of draft (75% complete)
03/02/15 – Completion of research paper final draft
03/04/15 – Begin preparing for presentation
03/10/15 – Deliver project presentation

Comments

To Alex, Giovana and Pangyan: Your topic sounds very interesting. Both the concept of intelligent building and the concept of green building have reached a point of popularity in recent years and I think it'd be great to see how the two coincide. I'd really like to see specific cases in which a building's "intelligence" can add to its ability to be green. It would also be interesting to see if there are cases in which increasing the intelligence can have a negative impact on a building being green.

To Lee: I really appreciate the topic you've chosen considering that I know little to nothing about the vast capabilities of Revit. I learned so much just from doing last week's bookshelf exercise so I can only imagine how much you could learn from going through some of the other tutorials that are available.

To Drew and Derek: I love how unique your project is! It appears as though so many of us are focusing on Revit as a drafting tool or creating a research paper.This topic is extremely practical and I'm definitely looking forward to hearing more about the data base you're creating and the exact methods used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment