Sunday, February 1, 2015

B4 - Week 5: Individual Projects - Ami Amegan

For the final project, Zilong Xiao, Yu-Sen Liu and I have decided to replicate The Institute of Contemporary Art located in Boston, MA. The reasoning behind this choice is as follow: this experience will help us acquire more experience and knowledge in BIM/Revit. The design of this building has been celebrated for its openness which is represented by its exterior grand staircase and has been awarded the most beautiful piece of architecture in Boston. In spite of the many glorious critics, it has also been criticized for having a poor circulation and a dull facade facing land. Therefore, we have decide to create a model in Revit and explore how to improve the poor circulation problems, as well as the aesthetics. 

In addition to the Revit model,  a research paper explaining each step of the project, and developing the corresponding structural and mechanical systems will be provided. In this research paper, students will also provide new suggested improvements to the overall structure and go in depth on how the systems interact with one another. 

Although the original model may not have been design using BIM or Revit, this is to explore the different tools and properties of Revit, define the level of difficulty and conclude of its benefits. After reading other's ideas of their final project, I have to admit that there are so many things you could do with BIM/Revit. For instance, my classmates Perdue and Schwakoff are respectively researching "automatic fault detection and diagnosis in HVAC systems" and "current and experimental structural monitoring systems for large structures". These two topics could be somehow related and I believe would be great projects because I personally only thought Revit or BIM are just design tools for Architectural, Structural and MEP systems. Never once have I thought it could be used as a monitoring tools that is health related, because indeed HVAC could affect a building's occupants' health. 


Taylor: I love your idea because it is unique. A lot of us have chosen to do a Revit/BIM related project and your group is doing something 3D related. I am personally interested in reading this because I don't know a lot about 3D printing and it is not something we are very exposed to. I look forward to it.

Ilana: I find it interested that you are relating a real life experience to your project. I have an interest in intelligent buildings as well. Seeing how buildings are working nowadays based on technology makes me interested in your research. I believe it will be very economical for buildings to function that way and adapt to the weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment