Sunday, February 1, 2015

B4: Term Project - BIM of Residential Building - Husain Ibrahaim

Project Description:
My project for the term will be a BIM using Revit. This will be an individual work. The project is to have a digital documentation and representation of an existing building and adding an extra floor on the top of it.
Why chosen:
What motivates me to do the project is that the building is my family’s current home in Kuwait, which was built in 2005 and the main goal here is to add an extra floor to as my father is planning to. The building consists of two and a half floors, and the plan is to have four full floors.
Doing this project would help me experiencing Revit in more depth, since I will include some possible building systems like structural, HVAC, plumbing or electrical.
Relation to IB:
            As intelligent building’s definition refers to the use of adoptive computer technology in building, I will be using Revit as a computer technology to transform all documents and sheets from papers into Revit models. This would give a sense of more possible creativity when I want to add the other extra floor. Also, it will help in visualizing the structural and architectural systems in three-dimensional views. This feature can minimize possible errors when I am design the columns and beams and keep them continuously on grid throughout the floors (for example).
Challenges:
            First, I am not an expert in Revit, so this is a big challenge for me. Second, designing multiple systems of the building is something new that I have to learn and practice. Last, the building is built using non-US codes and units, so I need to focus more on the documents to understand them very well.
Comments:
Saldivar:
I like your point of interest where you are comparing between green building and intelligent building. Also, I agree with what you said that the two differs in “end product”. I am looking forward to see what you conclude from this project and what the deep differences and agreements between intelligent and green buildings.
Moore:
This is a very interesting topic for me actually. I liked how you organized the research paper and going from history of 3d printing, through the technologies and current applications, then arriving at the future of 3d printed concrete structures. I can’t wait to view what you prove in 3d printing technology.
Liu:
I liked the building you are going to investigate. Putting the effort to have a Revit model of it is very beneficial since it will force you guys to learn more and master Revit. Also, I think structural and mechanical information can be obtained from the museum itself; you can email them to get more data.

Resources:
Documents of the current building.

No comments:

Post a Comment