Tuesday, February 3, 2015

B4: Group B- Grigorios Papadourakis


3D Printing & Construction

Group Members:
Grig Papadourakis
Rikki Moore
Taylor Castonguay

Deliverables:
The main deliverable of our project will be a comprehensive research paper that looks into 3D printing of concrete and its capabilities & potential for the future. The format of the paper will follow the general outline below:

  • Abstract
    • Summation of our research findings & conclusions.  
  • Introduction
    • Introduce project & identify 3-D Printing of building materials such as concrete.
  • History
    • Brief history of general 3-D printing and how it has advanced over time.
  • Technological aspects of 3-D printing concrete.
    • Rikki
  • Current applications of 3-D printing using concrete and sustainability concepts.
    • Taylor
  • Economical Effects/Social Repercussions.
    • Grig
  • Future Opportunities
    • Concrete printing in the future?
      • Larger Scale?
    • Expanding to other materials?
  • Conclusion

My part of the project is to investigate the economical effects and social repercussions that are occurring as this technology takes off. There are many applications where it would make sense to use 3-D printing in construction, but a balance between technology and manpower is needed.

Responses:

Kevin Saldivar: I'm really interested to see how your project turns out! My freshman design project concentrated on LEED certification so I'm pretty familiar with the requirements. I find it curious that people will sometimes ignore LEED when building a new structure even with the incentives associated with building "green." A suggestion would be to take an existing "intelligent" building and give suggestions to make it greener. Good luck!

Drew Sivertsen: I know we already discussed it in class but I was impressed with just how thorough you plan to be when creating this database. It's definitely an idea I'm going to keep in mind for Senior Design next year. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Ilana Ritvalsky: Your topic is really interesting. When I think of intelligent buildings and climate control I just think of an efficient thermostat. I didn't realize that LeBow had that technology installed and I'm definitely going to be on the look out for it next time I pass by!


No comments:

Post a Comment