Monday, February 9, 2015

B5 - Week 6 - Group D - Abdulghani Albaloushi


A database is a collection of data that has been selected, organized and made available for searching/editing. Using database is extremely important especially when dealing with megaprojects.  Not only does it increase the productivity, but also stores the entire project data in a well organized form.

Microsoft Access is a database management system from Microsoft Office. It stores all data in its own format based on the Access Jet Database Engine, which is a database engine on which several Microsoft products have been built. One advantage of Access is its relative compatibility with SQL (Structured Query Language). Queries can be viewed graphically or edited as SQL statements.

Nowadays, most projects produce a large amount of information that depends on different factors, which can be complicated sometimes. Organizing the data effectively and assuring its availability and accuracy is an important task for all engineering firms. Using database helps prevent any delays on the projects.

I don’t have experience with Microsoft Access. I always thought that we could use Excel to create databases. I read that professional access users point to the following:
-       Its ease of use
-       The massive range of online resources available for users
-       Its powerful querying, filtering and table tools.

On the other hand, beginners complain about its lack of scalability, memory size (2GB), and “lifeless interface” restrict its potential, which forces them to seek alternatives.


Comment to Kevin Saldivar

I think you did a great job explaining the object oriented database management systems (OODBMS). Before reading your post, I did not know that this type of database exists. I agree with you that this database becomes an advantage when it is combined with object oriented programming language since they both use the same type of representation.

Comment to Young Kwang Lee

You did a good job defining what structured query language (SQL) is. I also liked how you described and explained its three major components; Data Manipulation Language (DML), Data Definition Language (DDL), and Data Control Language (DCL). I also don’t have experience with Databases so this assignment was helpful to me.

Comment to Mikaela Price

I like the way you defined SQL and mentioned its advantaged and disadvantages. It enhanced my understanding on SQL. Just like you, I don’t have experience with databases. I agree that it is a very important tool for large companies because it allows them to easily manage the data virtually.




References 

Phillips, Gavin. "5 Easy To Use & Free Alternatives To Microsoft Access."MakeUseOf. N.p., 25 Nov. 2014. Web. 08 Feb. 2015.

"HOW-TO Use Microsoft Access Databases from within OpenOffice.org 1.1."OpenOffice. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 Feb. 2015.

Balter, Alison. "Why Use Microsoft Access?" Why Use Microsoft Access? QUE, 10 May 2013. Web. 08 Feb. 2015.



2 comments:

  1. I've always thought that we could use Excel to create databases as well. good job explaining how the users of access thinks it's a very good program. I share your thoughts that creat a well organized database can reduce the complexity of these bigger projects.good job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I for one have never used MS Access either. It is actually the only program in the MS umbrella that I have not touched because I don't really know where to start. Thus, I agree with you and the other beginners, about seeking alternatives like Excel. Nevertheless, I look forward to completing the assignment in this class to force me to at least consider the potential of Access.

    ReplyDelete