Tuesday, March 10, 2015

B7 - Course Reflection - Group A, Ilana Ritvalsky

I honestly can't believe that this class is coming to a close already; the past 10 weeks have sped by in my opinion. Looking back, I've learned so much from this class. My definition of the term "intelligent building" has completely changed. I initially took "building" to be a noun and focused solely on the actual structure and its systems (HVAC, electrical, architectural, structural, etc.). However, Professor Mitchell challenged us to consider "building" as a verb. The concept of structural intelligence goes beyond the every day operation of a building. It also includes the design process, construction and pretty much so every other phase of the building's life cycle.

In addition to redefining the concept of intelligent building, this class also taught me a lot about Revit. Going into this class, I was pretty inexperienced and my knowledge was extremely limited. I foolishly saw Revit as nothing more than an architectural tool that could be used for creation of floor plans, elevations and renderings. Little did I know, there are so many other functions. I definitely plan to carry my newly-found Revit skills and knowledge with me to my post-graduation career. I believe it's a very useful software than can be applied to multiple facets of the design process. I hope to use it one day in the future while designing a real-life structure. Learning about Revit has also given me a better understanding of Building Information Management (BIM) systems and databases (especially databases made in Microsoft Access), both of which are very important tools for engineers.

Lastly, this class has improved other soft skills including critical thinking, research capability, information synthesis and research presentation. At the beginning of this course I expressed a desire to learn "a lot more about the topic [of intelligent building]" and to "come out of this class with a better understanding of Revit and BIM as a whole". Without a doubt, I can say "Mission Accomplished!!" In closing, I appreciate how practical this course is considering that most of our classes place such heavy emphasis on theory. I look forward to applying all I've learned in Senior Design and the work place.

Comments:

To Santiago: I agree with your opinion regarding the blog posts. It definitely allowed us to express opinions regarding the topics discussed in class and I also would've appreciated having more of a dialogue. I believe that such conversations could've been extremely insightful.

To Yanzhao: I also greatly enjoyed the guest speakers. Considering that I've only known Bentley for their work with MicroStation, I was very nice to see what other technologies are being developed by the company.

To Hope: I totally agree with your comment regarding how quickly our field changes. It's really exciting to see how engineering incorporates various right technologies. I look forward to seeing what changes occur in the next 5-10 years and just how far intelligent building goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment