Saturday, March 7, 2015

B8: Week 10 - Group B, Lee

Topic : Reflect on course and its effect on your profession and your future

I think the description of this course is very accurate, which states that I will get out of it as much as I put in. There were numerous topics that we covered in this course and although it seemed overwhelming at first especially since I was a novice in this field, I was able to learn and understand the subject appropriately. I had to go through a lot of tutorials for beginners but I believe that is ultimately the purpose of this course: regardless of the extent of my knowledge on the topics, I will be able to improve from my prior position. The most rewarding topic for me was the BIM Modeling. I was a complete novice to the Revit software before this course but I was able to learn the basics and understand its function and features through an assignment and a term project. I liked how I could choose my own topic for the term project, which I took advantage of by exploring Revit more. In addition, the course offers various perspective on the AEC industry through the lectures, discussion and guest speakers. It was especially interesting to hear different opinions from the current professional engineers in the field, prompting me to think about the prospect and potential in the corresponding technology. I think all the guest speakers that were invited for this course should be invited again next time because their inputs and advices are extremely helpful and beneficial to the engineering students. 

As I mentioned above, having the knowledge of Revit is critical for my profession and future. I am looking into becoming a project engineer in an architectural firm focused in mechanical component of buildings such as HVAC. The future usage of BIM modeling softwares like Revit in this field is promising and that's why I wanted to use this opportunity to improve my skill set. My internship experience at a small company introduced me to this field and I believe knowing how to use Revit will prepare me better for the future profession and career. Furthermore, there were many times when we discussed about current and future technology in the course and it was helpful to think about what I should be expecting in near future so that I will be able to adjust and learn the necessary skills in advance. 

Comments: 
Catherine Stephens - I agree that this course also helped me see the reality of the swiftly changing industry. I definitely want to survive this competitive world of engineering as well. Also, learning about sensors and MS Access was a plus to me too and I'm sure they will be useful later in our careers. It's great to hear that you have opened up your perspective on career little more, possibly looking into cruise ship designs and construction. I have also realized that BIM is used in numerous fields and I hope to find something that I enjoy. 

Abdulghani Albaloushi - I also did not know anything about the database before this course. It was difficult at first but I now see how useful and necessary database is in this world of information. I agree with your suggestions to improve this course. I think having a 3-hour class on this subject may be a little too exhausting, and perhaps having shorter class would be better. Going on a field trip to witness and experience the technologies we discuss in the course seems like a great idea. Hopefully it is feasible and available for next class. It was strange to use blogs for the assignments at first, but I do agree with Professor Mitchell that all the discussions will stay online and we can always revisit when we want to. 

Ami Amegan - Having a co-op experience at Drexel is indeed a very good opportunity that helps us to understand and prepare for our profession after graduation. I think I have a very similar interest in project engineer position as you are. Instead of designing, I am also intrigued by the common point between the design team and the construction managers, facilitating a connection and communication while preventing any clash. I hope to get to a point of proficiency in regards to BIM, especially Revit, and eventually become a BIM expert like the colleague you knew back in your last co-op. 

No comments:

Post a Comment