Friday, March 6, 2015

Stephens: AE510 Reflection

"Technology won't replace teachers...
But teachers who use technology will probably replace teachers who do not."
--Anonymous

AE510: Intelligent Buildings is a course intended to make students question and reflect about the future of technology and how it affects design and construction of structures. The past 9 weeks have opened my eyes to the reality that the industry is changing, and only those who can keep up with it will survive the competitive world of engineering. New things get invented everyday. More and more people lose their jobs because they are being replaced by machines. Using machines, simulating structures with BIM softwares, creating databases, and understanding the use of different sensors were some of the skills I have learned in this class. Specifically, using MS Access is something that I think will be very useful in my career. The guest speakers that came to share their experiences were very informative. They have given me knowledge on what to expect after I graduate. The only thing I would suggest is discussing sensors in greater detail. Maybe have a project that is directly relevant to understanding how sensors work.

Just recently, I had a realization of what I really want to do. Although I was certain that I wanted to design buildings, an article that I read on the internet made me question my goals. I read about a cruise ship being built in Miami, FL. They use BIM softwares to make sure that everything fits physically. This caught my attention because I love cruising. But, I would have never thought in a million years that I would be qualified to design cruise ships because they would probably want someone with a background in marine engineering. I looked up the company anyway and saw that they are hiring Civil and Architectural Engineers with experience using BIM. Then I reflected back to the speakers and came into the conclusion that there really is no limitation to what I can do. Kayleigh Houde, for example, is an AE graduate that is now a BIM Coordinator at one of the biggest engineering companies in the world. I understand that as I learn and explore more facets of the industry, my mind will keep changing. But for now, my goal is to be a cruise ship designer. And I know that as long as I keep up with technology, this goal is well beyond my reach. I wouldn't mind escaping to a warmer weather either.

Comments:

Sayed- I definitely agree that it was nice to learn databases. Specifically, MS Access is a very helpful tool that can be useful in any field. I do think that 3-hr class is a little too much but the purpose of having this class in the evening is to make sure that graduate students who are currently working are also able to take advantage of this class.

Zhang- I do agree that Revit exercise was kind of a repetition of previous courses. However, the addition of creating a family of bookcases was really challenging. Although it took me hours to finally figure it out, I think it kind of helped me understand family in greater detail. It is definitely something that can be very useful in the future.

Lee- I, too, liked that we were able to choose our own topic for the final project. It gives up the opportunity to explore something that we are interested in instead of just doing something because we have to. I am also glad that you chose a Revit project to improve your BIM skills considering you consider yourself a novice. Good luck to you!


No comments:

Post a Comment