Tuesday, March 10, 2015

B7 - Course Reflection

Topic: Course Reflection

Overall, I like this course.

First of all, from my point of view, this course is useful. In this term, I have learned a lot about intelligent building. For example, I have learned that the concept intelligent building includes only the intelligent building itself, but also the smart construction and sustainable aspects. Besides that, I acquired more knowledge about database after the class. In this case, I learned more about the usage of database, also I learned how to integrate database by using Microsoft Access. In addition to database, I learned more about using Revit. Although I had used Revit in my sophomore year, it has been a long time since that time. By finishing the Revit project, I reviewed all the skills and I’d learned in CAEE 201, so now I can use Revit more efficient. Since my senior design project is to build a second library for Drexel University, skillfully applying Revit can definitely help our group save time in generating the model.

Secondly, this course is interesting. During the class, we had a lot discussion regarding to different concepts. Also, we had several guest speakers introducing their professional fields which were highly relevant to intelligent building.  The guest that impressed me most was the gentleman from Bentley. He showed us many advanced technologies of modeling. I still remembered that they used drone-driven laser scanner to scan the region, then their software generated the 3-D model automatically. In my opinion, if this technology is wildly applied, engineers are able to save a lot of time in doing site surface investigation, so that design companies can save much money.

Finally, I enhanced my skill of doing research. In the last few weeks, we were assigned to finish a research paper. Our group chose the topic which analyzed the relationship between green buildings and intelligent buildings. In order to finish the project, I've done much research regarding to the topic. After finishing the paper, besides learning more about the intelligent buildings, I felt that I've become more skillful in finding relevant resource.


Future

This class is helpful for my future. I am a civil engineering major student. In the future, I will consider sustainability in my design. Also, I will apply methods of intelligent industry such as BIM  if possible, since it helps people save time and money. Also, I've learn some basic principles for Microsoft Access. If I am assigned to integrate data in the future, I will use Access for help. Finally, I will do more research about how to make an existing building intelligent. In my opinion, there could be a huge market, as long as we figure out a cheap and efficient way to do that.



Comment to Jiaao Wu
I agreed that Professor Mitchell has a very good plan for teaching this course. The topic for each week illustrates a specific aspect of intelligent buildings. After discussing all the topics, I have better understanding about intelligent buildings.


Comment to Jinhao Liang
I agreed that the tutorials were extremely helpful for finishing the projects. Without their help, we might have to spend much more time and our project might not be as good as they are now.

Comment to Kaili Yue

I agreed that we can make friends in this class. The discussion session is helpful for us to practice our skill of communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment