Tuesday, March 10, 2015

B7 - Final Reflection - Angelina Castro

Reflect on course and its effect on your profession and your future



At the start of this course I had very little knowledge as to what a BIM was, how to create one, or even the complexity of what kind of information can be inputted into a BIM file. As the course progressed I gained a wealth of knowledge into the growing world of building information models, databases, sensors, and how all these different systems can interact with each other to make a building "intelligent". In addition to the interaction of these new technologies with a building, the type of personnel that can utilize this information to become more efficient and informed was taught in this course. From the owners being able to visualize a construction timeline in a 4D construction phasing video, to maintenance being able to keep track of all sensors in a building to even contractors being able to bid on job more accurately with cost estimation databases was all covered through out the duration of this course.

An aspect that I really enjoyed in AE 510 was how Professor Mitchell was able to get guest speakers to come to the class and give a real world example of how the new technology we were learning about was being used in the field. It gave me insight into the technology that was still developing and the technology that is efficient enough to be used in a real world application. It also showed us how not everyone agreed with the new technology being presented. The man who talked about sensors (I apologize for forgetting his name) was adamant on the fact that sensors and a system to track and utilize that data available from the sensors is something that will be is so important that it could be sold but without and regard shut down the idea of Revit being a good system. I also learned about Bentley systems, a program I had no idea existed prior to this course.

As far as whether BIM and Intelligent buildings is something that I will need in my future career and engineering life, I can only hope that I will be able to work with this kind of technology. The use of BIM software and all the technology surrounding this realm is very interesting and are breaking the way for a new way to create buildings.



Response:

Lenny: I enjoyed reading your reflection on this course, I agree with what you said about how you did not expect BIM to be such an integral factor into an intelligent building.

Ilana: I liked how you mentioned how this course helped improved other skill like critical thinking and research other than just how to use revit and make a database. I would have never thought about it in that sort of way but I definitely agree with that statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment