Monday, March 9, 2015

Post_#8: Course Conclusion (Week 10)

AE-510 is one of my required course which I have take as a digital building concentration. The structure of this course is very similar to AE-391 and 390, students have to finish and post most of their work on a webpage. However, most of AE-510 posts was individual rather than do it as a group. During the lecture time, we discussed some high technology aspects which can be used for the building design and construction such as database, BIM (Building Information Modeling) and robotics.

As a digital building concentration student, I found this course is very useful for my future's career in several major factors. First all, keeping a weekly blog post forced me to practice my English writing skills by writing a lot of post, even though my writing skills still need to be improved.  On the other hand, as the AE major things such as database and robotics were very new to me. I never really get into the details of those aspects before I took this course. However, those thing are very important and will be used in the future's construction and design activities.

For example, one of our project during the term was to create a database for a architecture perspective. For this project, I have create a database for all the furniture for several buildings, I stored the furniture details such as give each individual furniture a unique code, furniture type, dimensions and location. I found this project is very practical because, nowadays almost all buildings has a very advanced database to store the building information such as beam sizing, equipment details and other important building information. This database would make a huge benefit for the future's engineers if the structure needs reconfiguration or repair.

Finally, by taking course I had a really good understand of the BIM programs by listening the guess's lecture, watching the videos and discusses with other students in my group. As a very important design process, get know and the study of BIM will sure benefit me in my future's life as well as my career.

Suggestions for the course:

1. The size of group for in-class discussion could be reduced into 3-5 people, in this way, people talks more rather than some of the group member just sitting their and listening to other member talk.

2. There should be more practical assignments like the Revit model and database design rather than the term project. In my point the term project is just not as practical as the Revit and database because in these we really practiced the skills of using the software.

Comment:

I don't see many of my posts from my group member so far, since this topic is the same for everything I am going to comment on the post that are from the students for other group.

To Anthony Yau: I felt like the same way as you mentioned in you post, this course really made us to think of using computer modeling and other modern technologies to server the design and construction propose for buildings. Furthermore, I also agreed that the Revit family member design assignment was the hardest almost all assignments, I found a YouTube video for that otherwise I would not be able to finish it. Finally, I found the weekly blog post was very helpful for my English writing skill it forced me to keep writing, maybe because you are a native speaker so that you found they was not very effective in terms of time.

To Abdulghani Sayed: Hey Abdul, I really like your suggestions for the course. I also agreed that split this three hours course into two and adding a field trip would make this course better. I also found the same way with you that the blog posts were very help but not only reading others make me think more but also they improved my writing skills as well and I am you improved yours too. Good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment