Tuesday, March 10, 2015

B7 - Justin Hileman - Group E

Course Reflection:
"Reflect on course and its effect on your profession andyour future"

For this blog, I will be reflecting on this course as a whole and discussing how this class will effect my future career.

First off, I'd like to say that this class was much different than I originally expected. When I heard the title "Intelligent Buildings" I was thinking a class where we would discuss how buildings have all of these different types of technology integrated to allow it to act intelligent. After the first class, I realized this class was actually about how buildings can be built intelligently, as well as the type of technology that is incorporated. This was a very interesting concept for me to think about. As a recent switch to the Digital Building concentration, this had me thinking about this more often. The classes required to take in this concentration are database classes and system analysis, which address issues of how to construct buildings through technology. There are a lot of databases that are used, such as BIM and how we had to write a blog post about how databases are used in construction firms or design offices.

Throughout this course, we discussed a variety of topics. I thing one of the most interesting things for me was creating the database in Microsoft Access. I have never done anything like that before so that was very cool for me and I learned a lot about how important it is to have individual tables that provided information, and then how it is pulled to other tables through queries and forms. It was very interesting to see how it all worked.

Another aspect that I enjoyed throughout this course was the discussion of sensors. I learned a lot more about sensors than I ever knew before. There are so many sensors that I did not even realize were considered sensors. There are sensors for pressure, temperature, motion, noise, etc. and how they are incorporated into buildings which help make them more intelligent.

There are many aspects of this class that I can be useful for my future profession and career. As we have discussed in class on many occasions, technology is a booming topic and becoming more and more prevalent in anything you do. Computers are being used for almost all types of design and this is done through the use of software and databases. This means that we are going to be expected to be able to use all of these programs throughout our career. I think this class as greatly improved my preparation for the future in the work-field.

Comments

In response to Drew Sivertsen, I completely agree with what you had to say. The use of BIM and technology is upon us today and is being heavily used throughout construction today. I also think that it would be very cool to work for a progressive company that drives through its use of technology and means a great future for digital building.

In response to Santiago Uribe, I forget to mention all of the guest speakers but you are totally right. They were so great to have to come in and talk to us because we were able to see real life experience on how these topics are being used in the field. I, too, enjoyed all of the discussions on BIM.

In response to Alex Nunes, I had the same thought about the class at first. I also liked be able to take this class so that we could learn more about important skills for engineering students. I also enjoyed having you as part of my group during the term because I was able to learn different aspects like how it relates to where you originally learned things like this and working in another country. It provided a great aspect to this course by being in groups and talking to other students.

No comments:

Post a Comment