Tuesday, March 10, 2015

B7 - Course Reflection - Giovana Pelisser

The main reason for taking this course it was the title: Intelligent Buildings. I have always looked for new information about construction, energy and technology. Also, my goal, as an exchange student, it is to attend different classes, which is not possible in my home university, but I am totally able to do this here at Drexel.
Certainly, learn to work with Revit was the most significant part in this course. I have always wanted to use Revit, a famous and now easy to use software. Now I have another skill to add in my profile, and maybe it will be a decisive point in my career.
The database assignment also teaches me something about Windows Access, tool I had never used. Through videos-class, it was possible to easily learn about using the Access software, how to generate tables, queries and reports. Previously, most of my colleagues and I probably knew nothing, or almost nothing about Database.
Professor Mitchell often came with group work, to stimulate the class work together. In our professional life, group work with people relatively unknown will be common, and begin to get used to the idea is important.
In fact, another curious topic, that previously I had little interest, it was robotics. In the first weeks of school, I found very interesting the way Professor showed us something new to me. I believe that robotics will be common in the near future, and I think it's very important to know more, or be aware of it.
Softwares such as Revit is very important nowadays, due to the fact that more and more companies are using BIM as an essential tool for integrated project. Building Information Modeling is used to avoid potential design errors. BIM is a very efficient mechanism in relation to integrate the work of the various professionals, such as engineers, architects and developers.
At the end of another term, I realize that I learned a lot about new technologies, both actual and future.
Comments:
Zilong Juno Xiao: I totally agree with the last statement: “I truly think this course is one of the most authentic architectural courses that I ever had”. As Zilong, I also came to Intelligent Building course with no knowledge of BIM, and many other topics related to IB.
Alex Nunes: Alex talked about lectures in class, how he thinks is important to have an idea about “real life”, as work in construction and project happens in big companies.

Rikki Moore: She really liked the course. She talked about the use of technology in today’s society in building and construction. Rikki also explains her exploration of Revit, Access and 3D printing, how she is interested how long it takes to 3D printing of concrete will be more useful in construction.

No comments:

Post a Comment