Tuesday, March 10, 2015

B7 Course Reflection Papadourakis

This course has had a profound effect on my profession and my future. I mentioned in my introductory blog post that I was excited to finally take an architectural engineering course at Drexel. I actually entered as an AE but switched to Civil during my freshman year. During my time here I became more and more convinced that I would like to be designing, renovating, or maintaining bridges after graduation. I think I gravitate towards bridges because they constitute one of the most “creative” forms of infrastructure. After taking this course I know that I want to be involved more in the design rather than the analysis of structures.  The Revit project combined with the presentation of guest speaker from BuroHappold introduced me to the concept of BIM. I think that being a BIM coordinator would be extremely fulfilling and I am looking forward to gaining more experience with softwares like Revit.

In addition, I really enjoyed the topic of my group’s final project. I had heard of 3D printing in the past but had no idea that the technology was being used in the construction industry. I’m extremely excited to see it take off in the next few years and the opportunities that will arise from it. Although we didn’t touch on it in our final paper, I recently read an article about how concrete printing could be used for building lunar structures. The idea is that the lunar soil could be used as the base material for a type of “concrete” that could be used in a 3D printer. I think it would be incredibly exciting to be involved in constructing structures on the Moon.


All in all I really enjoyed this class and I hope to take more AE courses before I graduate. AE 510 offered a bigger emphasis on design than my civil engineering courses and introduced many new technologies that are currently being used in the industry that I was previously unaware of.

Comments: 
Ilana Ritvalsky: I too learned so much about Revit during this class. I had heard of the software before but somehow I had never used it. I agree with the fact that it is a great tool that can be used to integrate multiple facets of a construction project.

Chang Qin: I hope Professor Mitchell chooses your group to present today because I am really interested to see what distinctions you found between Green and Intelligent Buildings. I too had some difficulties assigning families in Revit...hopefully it will get easier as we become more familiar with the software.

Liang Jinhao: I agree with your point about the technical tutorials being very easy to follow. It was awesome that Professor Mitchell took the time to record them so that his students would be able to learn on their own time in a comfortable setting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment